Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Fresh off the blog post.

Thought I'd start this up so that when I'm on my trip I could update it and keep in touch. Today's household tip (listen up guys!) is that cans are so much easier to rinse when the goop is fresh. Tuna tins that have sat on the side for a day or two or three are not pleasant to rinse out.

OK now I have that on my chest today has been dyeing day. It is also another day I can say that I wish I had measured and kept track of what I put in as it is hard to reproduce a colour from a sprinkle of this and a squirt of that. I was aiming for teal but I got dark green. OK, I like green. There was dye left though so I picked up a skein of handspun from my UFO pile (skeins of wool I spun up enthusiastically before I realized it was expedient to put them into bags labelled what they were and where they came from), felt it and figured it was soft enough to become something, perhaps a hat. I threw it into the leftover dye bath into which I had sprinkled some blue dye powder and a bit more vinegar, stirring it with a chopstick hanging around from one of the kid's the last sushi runs. I poked the wool down with said chopstick and eh voila! A marvellous blue just the colour I was hoping to dye the next skein of sock yarn. I briefly considered keeping this dye bath going with another sprinkle of blue and a squirt of black in the hopes that the magical blue would keep on keeping on but discarded the idea as unlikely.

My dye tip for the day is that the Jaquard pink will turn superwash wool an incredibly flourescent hot pink. Should this not be the colour that you are looking for especially as you didn't remember to start the superwash in cold water and your dye is very uneven stay tuned for tommorrow's blog on what happens when you overdye with purple.

I will now continue knitting on my sock with Knitpick's Felici in blues and purples, which I am loving, while reading an archeological who dunnit set in Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment